Before Starting School: Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE)

  • If your child is not yet school age, you may be eligible to receive special education services through the South Glens Falls Central School District. The district’s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) is responsible for ensuring that parents are aware of the opportunities available for evaluation of children 3 through 5 years old who are suspected of having a disability, and for services to preschool children with disabilities. The committee consists of representatives from preschool special education agencies, county administrators, parents and the CPSE chairperson. If you have concerns about your child’s development, or would like more information, call 518-747-4529.

School Age Special Education: Committee on Special Education (CSE)

  • A Guide to Special Education for Children Transitioning from Preschool Special Education

    The Special Education Department in Fort Edward works to ensure that students with disabilities (ages 5 – 21) are provided with special education services in the least restrictive environment with access to the general education curriculum. The District offers a variety of special education programs and supports along the continuum of services. Programs and services provided by the district may vary year to year based on the needs of the current district population.

    The district offers inclusive services along with special class programs. If the district CSE determines that the District does not have an appropriate program for a particular student then an outside provider, such as our Regional BOCES may be contracted and the student would attend a program outside of the district.

Making the Transition to Life after High School

Special Information for FE students who are Parentally Placed in a Private school

  • If you have chosen to enroll your child in a private school (For example, St. Mary’s/St. Alphonsus, St. Clements or the Waldorf School) and you suspect he or she may have a disability you need to work with your child’s school, along with the CSE of the district that private school is located in, to pursue any possible eligibility for services. For example – St. Mary’s/St. Alphonsus school is located in Glens Falls so the Glens Falls CSE is responsible for any special education supports for that school. St. Clements is in Saratoga Springs so that school district’s CSE covers the students attending St. Clements.

    If your child is found eligible for classification and an IEP is developed, the CSE of the district of location will arrange for those services. However, as a resident of our district, Fort Edward will be billed and be responsible for payment for the services your child receives.

    If you have any questions or concerns about the different regulations for privately placed students you are welcome to contact Director of Pupil Services Joice Long. 

Director of Pupil Services